How much homework should I expect my child to receive?
At Key Stage 3 pupils should receive a minimum of one piece of homework in the core subjects of English, maths and science every week. Whilst there is no set tariff for the foundation subjects they should expect to receive regular homework in these subjects ie. not less than once a fortnight. Any single task should not take longer than half an hour for a pupil to complete.
At Key Stage 4 and Key Stage 5 pupils should continue to receive weekly homework in the core subjects along with any examination/accredited courses that they are following. The time devoted to homework should increase as pupils progress through the school in line with their ability and the nature of the qualification course they are following.
You can keep track of your child's homework by clicking on the logo.
You can either log in with your child's unique username and password to see their personalised homework page or search for your child's classes eg. 9B Science
Helping with homework
You can support your child by:
- Providing a quiet place to work.
- Negotiating with your child when homework is to be done and encouraging them to meet deadlines.
- Making it clear to your child that you value homework and explaining how it can help them to progress.
- Checking the presentation and content of completed homework.
- Encouraging and praising them when homework is completed.
- Contacting school if you have any concerns over homework.
Help with English and maths
Click on the links on the menu to the left for suggestions as to how you can support your child's learning at home in maths and English.
The following documents have more suggestions as to how you can support your child with their learning: